Primary (Preschool) Application
Preference will be given to families who live in our 1st catchment zone, but we have a few spots reserved for families who live outside our 1st catchment. Financial aid (see our sliding scale tuition graph on the application) is available to families who live in our 1st catchment.
City Garden is one of only a few authentic Montessori programs in the City of St. Louis. We have a diverse family community and offer a unique school experience. We are a neighborhood school, serving families in the Shaw, Botanical Heights, Forest Park Southeast, Tiffany, and Southwest Garden neighborhoods.
All children attend five days per week, full (8 am-3:30 pm) or half days (8 am-12:30 pm). We no longer offer part time spots. Before care and after care are available for a fee.
A limited number of slots are available for students who live outside of this geographic area. Interested families should fill out the application and call or email the school.
Listed below are the steps to take when considering an application to City Garden’s Primary program. We ask that all parents complete these steps to ensure our program is a good fit for your family and so that we can be as fair as possible when admitting new students to our school.
Find out if you are in the “1st catchment zone.” (see map above)
Review the website and application materials.
Visit the school by attending a Tour. These are listed as “Tour- Prospective Parents” on our calendar.
Submit application, all supporting documents, and also an application fee of $25, which is non-refundable. (Applications will not be considered until all forms are complete, including supporting documents, and the application fee is received.)
Required Supporting Documents:
- Original birth certificate of applicant
- Up-to-date immunization and health forms
- Two original proofs of residence from within the last month. These should be originals, not copies (gas bill, electric bill, cable bill, for example). Please mail them to the school or drop them off with your child’s name written clearly on each bill. Alternately, two of your utility companies can email email@example.com to confirm your residency.
- If you are declaring income level A, B, or C, please submit your most recent tax returns, two of your last pay stubs, and a financial assistance application (email Tiffany Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org for the Financial Assistance Application).
- Original Parent Photo ID
You can bring all required documents to school in person or mail the forms to City Garden’s Admissions Coordinator and School Secretary, 1618 Tower Grove Ave., St. Louis, MO, 63110. Because so many documents must be originals, you are welcome to bring them in person, have them immediately processed, and take them home again. If originals must be mailed, you can pick them up in person at your convenience.
The $25 application fee may be paid by cash, brought to the school and delivered to the Admissions Coorindator, Liz, or by check, made payable to City Garden School, either delivered in person or mailed to the school’s address above.
There is no deadline for Primary applicants. However, we prefer to receive applications as early as possible, preferably before March 15th. Applications received after March 15th will be reviewed on a first come first served basis.
- The Primary and K-2 applications are different. Go here for the K-2 application.
- Applications must be completed online. Call the school for assistance completing the application if needed.
- Make sure to review the application before hitting “submit.”
- Schedule an observation to see inside a classroom in the Spring semester. Email email@example.com
- Contact City Garden to make sure all forms have been received at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Primary families will be informed of their acceptance by the first week of April.