Code of Conduct for Adults
CODE OF CONDUCT FOR VISITORS TO CITY GARDEN MONTESSORI SCHOOL PROPERTY AND EVENTS
The Board of Directors and staff at City Garden Montessori School recognize and value the importance of parental and community participation in City Garden Montessori School events and activities, and therefore encourage such participation. For the safety and security of our students, parents, staff and visitors, and to maintain a positive learning environment for our students, and a positive community for all, the following guidelines will apply to all visitors to City Garden Montessori School property or City Garden Montessori School events, whether on or away from City Garden Montessori School property.
Conduct Prohibited on City Garden Montessori School Property or at City Garden Montessori School Events
The Board and administration will not tolerate any person whose presence disturbs classes or school activities, or jeopardizes the security or safety of school property or persons. Prohibited conduct includes, but is not limited to, the following.
No person shall:
• Intentionally injure any other person or threaten to do so.
• Intentionally damage or destroy school property or the property of a teacher, administrator, other district employee or any other person on school property, including graffiti or arson.
• Disrupt the orderly conduct of classes, school programs or other school activities.
• Intimidate, harass or discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation or disability
• Enter any portion of the school premises without authorization or remain in any building or facility after it is normally closed.
• Violate the traffic laws, parking regulations or other restrictions of vehicles.
• Possess, consume, sell, distribute or exchange alcoholic beverages or controlled substances on City Garden Montessori School property or at school events, except when City Garden Montessori School has granted permission for alcohol to be served at a school event.
• Be intoxicated, or under the influence of controlled substances, on City Garden Montessori School property or at school events.
• Possess or use weapons, including concealed weapons, in or on school property or at school function, except in the case of law enforcement officers.
• Loiter on or about school property.
• Refuse to comply with any reasonable order of identifiable school officials performing their duties.
• Willfully incite others to commit any of the acts prohibited by this code.
• Violate any federal or state statute, local ordinance or board policy while on school property or while at a school function.
• Engage in any conduct that is disruptive, threatening or violent.
Violations of the Code of Conduct:
All reports of violations to the Code of Conduct will be reviewed by the Executive Committee of City Garden’s Board of Directors, which has final authority over any and all outcomes.
• Whether a visitor has engaged in conduct that is in violation of this policy will be determined by City Garden Montessori School in its sole discretion.
• If a visitor engages in conduct that is in violation of this policy, the Executive Director, another administrator or a designee may require the visitor to leave City Garden Montessori School property or school event.
• Following such an incident, the Executive Committee of the City Garden Board of Directors will review the circumstances of the incident and determine the duration of the prohibition. The Board Chair, another administrator or a designee will inform the visitor that he or she is prohibited from entering City Garden Montessori School property or attending City Garden Montessori School events indefinitely or for a specific period of time. During any period of prohibition, the visitor will not be allowed on City Garden Montessori School property. An exception may be made, but is not required, for parents, guardians or custodians of students enrolled in the City Garden Montessori School for the limited purpose of transporting the student or participating in specific activities, such as parent-teacher conferences, when appropriate.
• Failure to comply with a request to leave City Garden Montessori School property or a school event or with a prohibition from being present on City Garden Montessori School property or at a school event may result in a referral to law enforcement.
• Violations of this policy that are serious or persistent in nature may result in a permanent prohibition against that individual volunteering for, participating in, or working at City Garden, or participating in, or working at any activities associated with City Garden.
• A visitor who has been prohibited from being present on City Garden Montessori School property or at school events may submit to the Board of Directors a written request for reconsideration of the prohibition. The Board will consider such a request in its sole discretion and determine the outcome of the request. While the appeal is in process, the prohibition remains in effect.
Any administrator, staff member, parent, Board member, or visitor of City Garden Montessori School who suspects a visitor has engaged in conduct that is in violation of this policy should report the concern to any staff member present at the event, and/or the Board Chair, Executive Director, Principal, or other administrator as soon as possible.